Sunday, November 17, 2013

Bellydance at any age! By Liane Dozois


“You're taking what kind of classes? Aren't you a little old for that?”

This was the first thing my friend asked me when I told her I’d signed up for belly dance classes.
At 43, the question had crossed my mind. Afterall, aren't Belly Dancers young and shapely Raquel Welch types with long hair, exotic eyes and voluptuous hips? But I mustered thecourage to sign up for my first class and it wasn’t until later that night I’m thinking “What am I doing?” Having been an athlete most of my life, my body type just didn't seem to fit what I felt a bellydancer's body should be not to mention my age.

I decided I was not going to let other people's opinions or my pre-conceived notions deter me from doing what I really wanted to try and I viewed it as one more thing I could cross off my Bucket List.  I’ll take a few classes and then I can say I’ve belly danced!

So there I was in my first class and I couldn't have bee more surprised as I looked around the class and found myself surrounded by young women, mature women, thin women, plus sized women and everything in between. It made me realize that there really is no single 'type' of woman that represents belly dance We ALL represent belly dance! The common denominator among us all of us is how the dance makes us feel inside, which soon manifests itself into a variety of other changes that we experience in ourselves and our lives. It has now become my passion.    

The first time I heard the music I love it.  Arabic music is like no other music you have heard before. It speaks to you and you cannot help but want to move to it ... even if you don’t understand the words. The melodies are moving and emotional. The rhythms are soulful and sensuous. Then you try a few moves, and determine it's not easy as it looks. But as the music takes you on this journey it almost makes you forget about how your body is moving.  It is a challenging and difficult dance form to master. Why should we be able to master this art form after 12 weeks let alone 12 years? I can only urge students to stick with it because leaving the dance early is really robbing yourself of the many gifts it offers as you grow with it and come into your own int he dance.  Learning to belly dance takes time but it certainly is enjoyable time. And as mature women we all know too well that nothing in life that’s worthwhile comes easy. If you give yourself a chance, enjoy your time in class, let go of your pre-conceived ideas and simply surrender to the dance form you could fall in love with belly dance just like I have.
Class is a safe haven amongst other women who are encouraging, without judgment and no pressure. Physically I found my body felt less stiff, my lower back was not holding the tension it usually did plus I was finding belly dance was actually helping me in my other sports activities with increased flexibility.   

There is also something about reaching your 40s that makes you feel different as a Belly Dancer regardless of your physical capabilities.  The life experiences that you have had (some good some bad) create emotions that come through how you express your movement.  I can assure you I would not have had the emotion or confidence to dance in my 20s like I do today.   I may not be the most flexible or the most voluptuous dancer in the room, but what I do have is an equally matched passion, and many more years of life experiences that help me express myself in my dance. Remember age is only a barrier if you make it one. And I can't think of another dance form that allows women to celebrate, express and embrace their emotion and womanhood like belly dance does. I hope you all give it a try and I hope to see you on the dance floor. 
 








1 comment:

  1. Belly dance is truly one of life's uplifting experiences. Joharah and her team go the extra mile to ensure everyone feels truly welcome. I have never left her studio not feeling elated at the end of a workshop or a dance party. The energy is consistently positive and the enthusiasm for sharing love of the dance is contagious. I am almost sixty and plan to continue to dance as long as I can stand up. It is something I do for myself ... and I love it! Keep on dancing sisters!

    ReplyDelete